Unique Backyard Deck Ideas to Reinvent Your Outdoor Space
Here at Structurally Speaking, we want to help you create an outdoor living space that is as unique as you are. We don’t believe in a one-size-fits all deck design. Let’s talk about a few creative backyard deck ideas you can use to build the backyard of your dreams.
Beyond Pine: Quirky, Unexpected, and Distinct Deck Materials
According to LBM Journal, over 70% of all decking in the US is pressure-treated pine. It’s easy to understand why; this material is inexpensive and you can stain or paint it any color you want to achieve your desired look. However, pine isn’t always the best choice for your custom deck. If you’re looking for a more interesting option, we offer a variety of other materials for decks.
- Exotic Hardwoods – These options are more expensive than pine, but give you gorgeous patterns and colors that can’t be replicated. As a bonus, more exotic hardwoods are also mold/rot resistant and extremely durable. Some of our favorites are Ipe, tigerwood, garapa, and cumaru.
- Redwood and Cedar – Although these woods are less durable than hardwoods, both redwood and cedar give you distinct, beautiful color that can’t be beat and a natural look perfect for some homes that need a more rustic or nature-inspired deck.
- Composite – Manufacturers blend inorganic material (often recycled plastic) and wood fibers to make this product. If you want long-lasting color and a low-maintenance deck, composite is definitely the way to go.
Curved Deck Designs that Flow with the Natural Beauty of Your Yard
If we asked you to close your eyes and envision a deck, what would appear in your mind’s eye? Most people picture a rectangle platform of wood attached to their back door. Maybe if you’ve been browsing for backyard ideas online, you might have thought of a deck design that is slightly more complex or even has several levels.
However, have you considered a curved deck instead of the normal rectangle or square?
In nature, few things have harsh right angles. Instead, there is more of a curving flow to plants, so a curved deck can feel like it works better with your landscape. This kind of innovative design can also mean you have enough room for a larger deck, even if you have a small backyard, since you are making the most of whatever space you have.
As an added bonus, curved decks are extremely trendy right now. This is one of the best deck designs for 2023 and beyond! We believe this is a trend that’s here to stay rather than a trend that will look outdated by this time next year. Here are some more trendy outdoor area ideas if you want to create an updated look for your space.
Multi-Level Decks Raise the Bar on Deck Design
Your deck doesn’t have to just be a platform on the ground. We love multi-level decks for a variety of reasons:
- It gives you space underneath for storage or even a patio or sunroom.
- You can have a bigger deck space without taking up too much yard, even if you have a small backyard.
- An entrance to your new deck from your master bedroom can make you feel like you’re at a resort.
- Taller decks take advantage of any view your property has to offer.
- Multi-level decks can flow with your property and give you multiple “zones” for entertaining, eating, playing with the kids, gardening, etc.
A multi-level deck doesn’t have to mean that your deck is raised to the second story of your home. However, many of our clients love considering 2-story deck designs when they are thinking about backyard layout ideas.
Skip the Deck and Choose a 3-Season Porch Instead!
While we love sharing interesting and unique backyard deck ideas, in some case it makes sense to choose a different kind of outdoor living space instead. We love 3-season porches because they give you so much versatility. Not only can we design this kind of porch for you, but our team has experience building screened porches of all sizes.
What makes a 3-season porch one of the best backyard design ideas you can consider?
- You can use your outdoor space even if it’s raining.
- The roof gives you protection from the sun.
- When you’re entertaining, you can keep your food in the porch to avoid bugs.
- A screened-in porch is more secure for kids and pets.
Check out this article for more reasons why a 3-season porch might be the best option for your backyard.
FAQs About Bringing Your Backyard Deck Ideas to Life
Here at Structurally Speaking, we try to make the backyard design process as simple as possible. We start with a free consultation so you can ask questions and we can learn more about your deck or porch ideas. Here are a few common questions we hear from homeowners:
Will a deck add value to my home?
Yes, your odds are high if professionals build it. High-quality decks and porches add value to homes in most situations and can help your home sell faster if you decide to put it on the market. This is just an added bonus to how much you will enjoy the new space!
How much will a new deck cost?
This depends on many factors such as size, materials, and special features, as well as how much preparation your landscape needs before we can build the deck. We talk about costs during your initial consultation so we make sure we design a deck that is well within your budget.
Can you incorporate my special requests?
In most cases, we can! We love taking on unique deck projects that bring your dreams to life. We’ll also make recommendations to build on your ideas. Contact us today for a no-strings-attached meeting so we can discuss what you want from your new deck.