Which Outdoor Space is Best? Deck vs. Porch Builders Near Me
A 2021 study found that 90% of Americans believe their outdoor living spaces are more important than ever before. If you want a more useful backyard, building a deck or porch is the way to go. Both decks and porches make the space more functional, so it is easier to relax outside and entertain. They also add value to your home. But is it really worth the money to hire porch builders near me? Let’s take a look at the advantages to adding a brand new porch to your home.
Advantages to Building a Porch
Both decks and porches can make your space more functional. The biggest advantage to a porch is, of course, the roof. With a roof, you have protection from both the sun and rain, so your outdoor living space is usable during more days of the year. However, there are other advantages to having a unique porch as well:
- Porches can be screened in, which gives you protection from insects as well as additional protection from poor weather conditions.
- Your new porch will be slightly safer if you need an outdoor play area for kids or pets. Even if you opt for a normal, open porch rather than an enclosed porch, you can use a baby gate to make the area more secure.
- Most people like the look of a porch instead of a deck if they are building along the side or front of their home, versus adding to the backyard.
- Because the porch is covered, it can be less maintenance than a deck, especially if you use wood material for the flooring.
- Since a porch has a roof, it’s a great place to hang a swing or hammock.
- You can add a ceiling fan to your porch to give you more air flow. This can help make the space comfortable even during the hottest summer days.
Should You Build a Deck Instead?
Porches aren’t for everyone. For some families, an open-air deck makes more sense. Here are all the reasons why you might want to work with deck contractors instead:
- Decks typically cost less than porches. Of course, a very small porch will cost less than a large, elaborate deck. However, in most cases, a deck is a lower financial commitment.
- You can sunbathe on your deck. It’s also great for star-gazing on a warm summer night.
- A porch’s roof makes it harder to safely use the space for outdoor cooking, such as grilling. Decks are better for this use, and can even accommodate a fire pit or other type of fire feature.
- Decks usually take less time to build than porches of the same size. You can start enjoying your new outdoor living space sooner if you choose a deck.
- If you like to garden, a deck provides a sunny space to grow plants. We can even design your deck with planters or features for climbing plants.
The Porch-Building Process
Here at Structurally Speaking, we try to make the porch-building process as quick and easy as possible. Every new porch starts with a no-obligation meeting with our owner, Jim Brennan, who has been designing custom porches for decades. Jim likes to meet with every homeowner personally to make sure he can give each project his special attention.
We’ll next present you with detailed designs, so you can fine-tune your new outdoor living space. We can add features such as kitchens, fireplaces, screens, and more to create the perfect porch for your family. Our team won’t start construction until you are 100% happy with your porch design.
The construction process can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, depending on multiple factors such as the size of the new porch or deck, the complexity of design, the weather, and the materials you choose. Yes, we want to help you start enjoying your new porch as soon as possible. However, we never cut corners during construction. Our decks and porches are built to last.
FAQs About Hiring Deck and Porch Builders Near Me
If you’re in the market for a new deck or porch, give us a call. We’d love to answer any questions you have about the process. Here are a few frequently asked questions we commonly hear from homeowners:
Do I need a permit to build a deck or porch?
Permit requirement depends on exactly where you live. We serve the entire Raleigh area, including surrounding towns such as Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Apex, Garner, Morrisville, Knightdale, Neuse, and Holly Springs. Our team is familiar with the exact permits and permissions required where you live, and we’ll take care of the paperwork for you.
Can I build a deck or porch on a concrete slab?
It depends on the situation. If you already have a concrete patio, we’ll come out to your home to inspect it. Sometimes, we can build a deck or porch over it; other times, we’ll remove it first to build a more stable foundation for your new porch.
Why is a custom deck or porch design better?
When you’re searching for porch builders near me, you may notice that many contractors offer only a select few porch designs. This is because they deal mainly with construction, but don’t really do design work. These decks and porches tend to look tacked onto your house, instead of having a natural flow and being truly functional. With our custom designs, on the other hand, you can be sure that your new outdoor living space is exactly what you want.
Whether you choose a porch or deck, it’s important to find porch builders near me who truly understand your vision and can help you build the perfect space. Contact us today to set up a no-obligation initial meeting to see if Structurally Speaking is right for you.