Hiring a Deck Builder in Cary, NC: Advice for Homeowners
A new deck is a great way to make your backyard more functional. However, a lot of decks look like unfinished squares of wood just tacked onto a house as an afterthought. Here at Structurally Speaking, we believe decks can be both practical and beautiful. We build outdoor living spaces that flow with the existing design of your home. If you’re looking for a custom deck builder Cary, NC residents can trust, give us a call today to learn more about working with us. Here’s how to ensure we’re the best fit for your deck project.
Five Questions to Ask Your Deck Contractor
With so many options, Cary, NC residents can feel frustrated trying to find the best deck builder for their custom deck project. Instead of working with the first deck contractor you meet, interview a few and ask these five important questions:
- Do you build the deck as well or just design it and subcontract the work? We handle the process from start to finish, rather than hiring subcontractors who may or may not build a deck up to our higher standards. Obviously, we hire teams for electrical and specialty situations but they are professionals that we work with regularly. In other words, we’re not going to hand your project off to someone else.
- Are you licensed and insured? While an unlicensed, uninsured deck builder might be cheaper, you get what you pay for. Insurance is especially important because accidents happen. If anyone is hurt while building your deck, you could be on the hook for medical bills, lost wages, and more. A contractor’s insurance protects you!
- What kind of decking materials do you offer? You’ll want to choose your decking material carefully to match your home’s style. Pressure-treated pine and composite are extremely common and might work well for you. However, they aren’t the best option for everyone. We offer a wide range of other materials as well.
- Can I see examples of your past work? Always look through a deck contractor’s portfolio to see examples of decks they’ve built in the past. Our portfolio is available here.
- Do you have experience building decks here in Cary, NC? Every city/county has their own building codes and permit requirements. Make sure you work with a contractor who is familiar with building decks in Cary, like Structurally Speaking.
Any contractor worth hiring will be happy to answer these questions or any questions you may have. Be wary of a contractor who doesn’t want to take the time to answer your questions.
What Kind of Deck Design is Right for You?
Another major consideration when you are hiring a deck contractor is whether or not they can build the kind of deck you want. When most people think “deck” they imagine a square of wood attached to their backdoor. However, decks come in many shapes and sizes. Here are some of the different kinds of deck designs you can consider:
- Multi-level decks with several zones for different outdoor activities, such as a dining area and a fire pit
- Two-story decks with a larger deck on the bottom and a balcony on the second floor or a deck over an enclosed porch
- Floating decks, which are unattached to a home and instead sit away from the home
- Combination deck/porches that provide both an open and a screened-in space
We love to design custom decks that perfectly match the style of your home. This goes beyond just choosing the right colors and materials. When we design a deck, we consider the architecture of your home to create a space that feels like it was part of the original home construction.
Building a High-Quality Deck is a Collaboration!
One thing that sets us apart from other deck builders is that we completely customize your deck to fit your needs. We’ve talked about how important it is to us to build a deck that visually looks beautiful with your home. However, your deck has to function as well.
Some families are extremely active and want a deck for hosting play dates, entertaining guests at outdoor parties, playing games, etc. Other families are looking for a spa-like space as an ultimate place to relax. Sometimes homeowners want an outdoor kitchen. Others would rather focus on creating beautiful spaces for planters. The sky really is the limit when it comes to your outdoor deck.
We’ll also take your family’s special needs into consideration as we build the deck. For example, maybe you need a ramp to make the backyard more accessible for family members using mobility aides. Or, maybe you want to incorporate outdoor lighting to make the deck safer for use in the evenings.
During our initial meeting, we’ll also talk to you about the best way to create a natural traffic flow from your indoor space to your new deck. Often, we can use an existing back door for an entrance onto the deck. In other cases, it makes sense to add a new door or even several doors. We’ll show you several designs so you can decide which makes the most sense for your family. Your deck design will be a collaboration: your wants and needs paired with our expertise.
Deck Builder Cary NC FAQs
We’re happy to answer any questions you may have about building a deck in Cary, NC or the surrounding areas. Here are a few frequently asked questions we hear:
How much will my new deck cost?
The cost of your deck will depend on many factors such as material, size, and special features. We always discuss budget upfront so we can design a deck in your price range.
Do I have enough space for a deck?
Most homeowners have enough space. If you have a very small backyard, you might consider a two-story deck for an existing or new porch, a small floating deck, or another deck design that makes the most of a small space.
Is a deck the best option for me?
We love decks, but we also build sun porches and enclosed porches. We can talk to you about the pros and cons of each type of space. Click here to contact us and set up a free no-strings-attached initial meeting.