Staying at home can get monotonous, especially if you are used to getting out of the house during the summer. A custom deck or porch can add to your usable living space in a fun new way. Imagine drinks on the deck with your spouse or enjoying time outside with your kids. Here at Structurally Speaking, our team of deck builders can create the custom enclosed porch or deck of your dreams. Let’s take a look at exactly how you can customize your outdoor living space.
Decking Materials to Fit Your Home’s Style
When you picture your new deck in your mind, what is it made from? Most people would say wood, but we have several material options to fit your aesthetics and budget.
No one material is better than others. That’s why every deck project we complete starts with a consultation. We’ll talk about your vision and lifestyle. Then, we’ll design options with the materials that will work best. Before our team of deck builders gets to work, we’ll make sure you are 100% happy with the color, maintenance needs, and style of the deck materials you choose.
Pressure-treated wood and composite decking are two of the more traditional deck materials. However, our team also can use stainless and aluminum options or discuss other materials with you as well. Wood options can be stained or painted, based on the look you want and the level of upkeep you want to do in the future.
In short, the best way to learn about deck material options is to speak with a deck contractor like Structurally Speaking. We’ll go over the pros and cons of each option.
Levels and Stairs with Your New Deck
Here at Structurally Speaking, we build all kinds of decks. If you check out our gallery, you’ll notice that we’ve built small, simple decks, as well as large multi-level decks with stairs.
Which is the best option for your home? Here are a few questions to consider:
- How often do you plan to use your deck? Do you often wish you had an outdoor space to entertain, or is it just a place to put the grill? If you want to use your deck as an extension of your home, you’ll want to think bigger.
- What makes the most sense for your home’s style? Some homes lend themselves to a multi-level deck, while others look better with a single-level deck.
- Is your yard on an incline? A natural incline lends itself to a multi-level deck, even if you have a ranch style home.
- What is your budget? Obviously, the bigger the deck, the more expensive it will be due to the increased materials. Bigger decks also take longer to build. Our custom deck builder team is fast, but we don’t rush through a project or cut corners.
If you aren’t sure, we can show you multiple deck designs. After your initial consultation, we will come up with a few options for you, based on your needs and budget. We can include a multi-level deck as one of the options if you are interested in this kind of design. There are no strings attached if you decide you want a smaller deck after all.
Deck Seating to Provide a Comfortable Outdoor Space
You can’t fully enjoy your new deck without seating. You have two main options for seating:
- Stand-alone seating that you purchase separately
- Built-in seating such as benches, which we’ll design as part of the deck project
If you’ll be purchasing stand-alone seating, we’ll still want to include it in our design plans. Your new deck will be perfectly suited to your needs, with space for any planned seating. For example, if you plan for a small round table with four chairs, you’ll need a different design than if you want a large table with seating for eight.
With a larger deck, you’ll typically want a few different seating areas based on how you’ll be using the space. You may want seating for outdoor dining, as well as seats that enjoy more sun or more shade.
If you enjoy hosting gatherings, you’ll also want additional seating options for guests that don’t obstruct your use of the deck when they aren’t in use. To solve this problem, we recommend built-in benches. Our team has experience building functional benches that also look great. Benches can serve as additional seating when you need it, but also work well for potted plants. We can also build wide stairs that double as benches.
Room to Garden on Your New Deck
Speaking of potted plants, do you enjoy gardening? We can build a deck that works with your existing landscape and gives you a new area for gardening options. Every deck installation has only one goal – to focus on your satisfaction with the finished product.
First, it bears mentioning that we’ll respect your current landscape if it is important to you. Don’t worry about your favorite rose bush or tree. Our designs will take any existing landscape into consideration. We work with your yard, not against it. This includes considering how your new deck may cast shadows in areas that were once sunny. Our deck builders are also careful to not disturb your landscaping more than necessary during construction.
If you love to garden, we can create new opportunities built into the deck design. Benches are just the start. With a new wood deck, you can also have built-in planters or planting areas. We’ll design them in the perfect locations for sun or shade, based on what your plants require.
Additionally, we can include a pergola as part of your dream deck. Pergolas have several benefits:
- Planting: You can plant any kind of climbing ivy, rose, or vine to create a vertical garden on your new deck.
- Cooling: A pergola adds extra protection from the sun in certain areas. If you have plants or seating areas that need shade, a pergola is a great option.
- Privacy: Once you’ve added the climbing plants, a pergola adds a little privacy to your deck, without completely obstructing your view.
- Uniqueness: Pergolas give your landscape that “something special” that you don’t find everywhere.
- Defining a Space: With a pergola, you define a space without closing it off. This works especially well for large decks.
Adding a pergola to your deck project is extremely affordable. It adds visual impact to your deck without breaking the bank. Simply mention to our designer that you are considering a pergola during your initial consultation. We’re happy to show you custom deck options with and without including a pergola.
Add a Hot Tub, Kitchen, or Other Features to Your Deck
Your new deck can truly be an addition to your home. As we design it, we can add any special features you might want, including room for a hot tub, a large outdoor kitchen, and more. Consider built-in lighting, a fence enclosure, sunken seating, designer handrails, a fire pit, and other fun features. If you can dream it, we can build it. This article from Houzz has a few luxury deck ideas to help get your creative juices flowing.
We can Redesign Your Old Deck
Instead of starting from scratch, the deck builder team at Structurally Speaking can simply redesign and replace your existing deck. Over the years, any deck can fall into disrepair. This can be a hazard for your family, pets, and guests. Here are a few indications that you may need a new deck:
- Severe discoloration that is not easily fixed with a pressure washer or refinish
- Holes or broken boards
- Signs of damage from pests such as termites
- Visible mold, mildew, or rot
- Boards that are separating and pushing nails out of the wood
- Tree roots breaking through your deck
- Loose deck railing or stairs
We can come to your home to assess the condition. Sometimes, deck repair makes the most sense. Often, problems look worse than they really are. However, it is always better to have our professionals assess the problem. We can spot safety hazards and build you a new beautiful deck if it is time to say goodbye to the old one.
Beyond the Deck: Other Options Available from Deck Builders
Although we love decks, they are not your only option for remodeling your outdoor living space. Here at Structurally Speaking, we also build screened porches/sunrooms to make outdoor living possible for your family. Here are a few reasons why you might want a screened porch instead of a traditional deck:
- Function During Three Seasons: A screened porch is often called a three season porch because you can use it for most of the year. The entire porch is actually a room with ceiling and screens to protect you from rain. It can have fans or even heating and cooling.
- No Pests: Say goodbye to mosquito bites or the need for harsh chemical sprays and insect repelling candles. Screened porches are also an especially good place to enjoy an outdoor meal without constantly swatting flies away from the food.
- More Secure: Families with young children and pets often like a screened porch, since it adds an extra level of security. If you don’t have a fenced-in yard or have a pool without a separate gate, a screened porch maybe be a great option for you. Of course, a screened-in porch also has a door that can be locked at night, making it slightly more secure for items that could be easily stolen from a porch or deck.
- Comfortable Seating for All Guests: When you’re hosting a party, you want all guests to feel comfortable. Older guests and others who are more susceptible to high temperatures might like sitting inside better than enjoying the fun outside. A screened porch allows everyone to be together.
- Increase Your Home’s Value: As with a quality deck, a beautiful screened porch can increase your home’s value. It is a major selling point if you ever decide to put your home on the market.
We can easily convert your current porch or deck to be a screened porch or sunroom. Or, let us design and build one from scratch.
And here’s the best part: You don’t have to choose. We can create a combination deck and screened porch for the perfect backyard space for your home.
Why Choose Structurally Speaking for Your Custom Deck
For nearly a decade, Structurally Speaking owner Jim Brennan worked for the largest deck and porch builder in the United States. During this time, he became a top deck and porch designer and learned that his approach was what made him stand apart. He started Structurally Speaking in 2008, and today, Jim still personally works with every client. When you choose Structurally Speaking, here’s what you can expect:
- Jim will work with you directly to create a design you love. No idea is too outlandish. No project is too small.
- We’ll set a budget during your initial consultation, and we’ll stick to it. No surprise bills!
- Our pricing is competitive. We have relationships with manufacturers so we are able to pass on those savings to you.
- Jim supervises the crew and oversees every project. We don’t pass off the construction to a third party.
Most importantly, if you have any questions along the way, we’re happy to answer them. We listen to every concern and can make changes as needed. This is your new deck and we want you to love it. After all, you’re the one who has to live with it after our crew leaves. If you aren’t completely satisfied, we’ll work with you until you are.
Your new deck starts with a free no-strings-attached consultation with Jim. Fill out the form on this page to get started or click here to contact us.