5 Tips for Porch Roof and Deck Expansion in Raleigh
Adding a new porch or deck can be a large, unnecessary undertaking if you already have a porch or deck attached to your home. Instead, you might want to hire an outdoor contractor for porch roof and deck expansion in Raleigh. Here at Structurally Speaking, we have experience helping homeowners expand their existing decks and porches to create a space that is both functional and beautiful. Before you get started, here are five tips to keep in mind about expanding a deck or porch.
Porch/Deck Expansion is About More Than Adding Space
If you are thinking about extending your deck or porch, having more space is probably your number one desire. However, keep in mind that as you expand your deck or porch, you eat up more of your yard. Additionally, that extra deck/porch space won’t be very valuable if you never use it. In other words, it’s important to design a space that really flows with your home to meet your family’s needs.
Here are just a few questions we recommend you ask yourself when designing a bigger porch or deck:
- Do you want more access points to the inside of your house (doors, windows, pass-throughs)?
- If you are adding special features such as outdoor appliances, where does it make the most sense for them to be located?
- How much of your space do you want to devote to a covered or even screened porch versus an open deck?
- Will you have the privacy you want if you build closer to your property line?
- What orientation makes the most sense in terms of sun/shade and your property’s view?
- Does it make more sense to build up instead of out? (i.e. build a two-story deck/porch combo)
There is no one-size-fits-all outdoor living space that meets every family’s needs. That’s why it’s so important to work with a custom deck designer like Structurally Speaking. We can help you plan a new expanded space that truly fits your needs.
You Don’t Necessarily Need to Match Materials
One major struggle many homeowners have when building a porch roof and deck expansion in Raleigh is trying to match older materials. Even if your deck is a recent addition and you remember the material colors and manufacturers, weathering happens pretty quickly for most products. Additionally, manufacturers change their available product lines all the time.
The good news is that your deck materials don’t have to perfectly match to look beautiful. Here are a few options if you are struggling to get that perfect look:
- Repaint or stain the entire deck once the new addition is complete. We can strip old paint or stain to make sure it has one uniform look.
- Choose complementary porch/deck colors instead of matching. Sometimes, different colors that are in the same family can look beautiful next to each other because it create visual “zones” for your deck, almost like little rooms or defined spaces for different activities.
We can, of course, also replace the decking so everything matches perfectly. While this isn’t the most cost-effective solution, it’s important to us that you love the look of your outdoor living space. We’re happy to help you come up with the best solution for you.
Not Every Deck can Accommodate a Roof
Extending a deck is relatively simple, as long as you have the yard space. If you want to extend a porch roof over more of a deck, however, you first need to ensure the deck can support this additional weight. Even if your existing deck is in great condition, it might not have enough support to bear the weight of a roof. Roofs are heavier than you might think.
In addition, if your deck is older, it might not be in the best condition to support a roof. This is something professionals need to inspect. If your deck cannot support a roof extension, though, don’t worry. We can either repair or replace the deck so a porch roof expansion is possible.
Your County or City May Require Permits
Rules and regulations about building vary greatly depending on where you live. Here in the Raleigh area, we are well-versed in working with local government to ensure you have the permits you need for your new porch and deck expansion. If you don’t get the proper permits, your build could be shut down or you could be subject to fines.
Also, we are familiar with working with HOA rules and regulations. While every HOA is different, we are comfortable with reviewing regulations and making sure our design doesn’t cause problems with your neighbors. We are also licensed and insured, which many HOAs require.
Hiring a Professional Outdoor Contractor Makes Sense for This Kind of Work
Although expanding a deck or porch roof might seem like a quick and easy DIY project, it is anything but. We highly recommend hiring a professional outdoor contractor for this kind of work. Otherwise, saving a little money now could lead to a huge headache and large expense in the future.
So how can you choose the best porch and deck contractor for your project?
- Choose a company that is licensed and insured.
- Make sure you fully understand the price quote and ask what, if anything, would cause the price to change during construction. (Hint: with a reputable company, it shouldn’t change unless you make last minute changes to the design.)
- Ask to see recent reviews.
- Check out past projects through an online gallery.
- Meet with the company to see if they understand your vision.
Most importantly, ask a ton of questions! Make sure you fully understand the design and can make tweaks before the construction process begins.
FAQs About Building a Porch Roof and Deck Expansion in Raleigh
Speaking of questions, we’d love to answer any you have. We want you to feel completely comfortable with your outdoor living space design and budget. Here are a few frequently asked questions we have to get you started:
Can I extend a roof over a patio?
In some cases, yes. Not all patios are stable enough to support a roof without additional support. We can review your space to see what is possible.
Is it possible to extend a front porch?
Yes! We have experience with both front and back porches. Additionally, we can build a wrap-around porch that covers two or three sides of your home.
How can I learn more?
We’d love to meet with you to talk about a porch roof and deck expansion in Raleigh. Contact us today to learn more and set up a free consultation.