How to Extend a Deck to Create an Outdoor Space You Love
If you currently have a deck that you don’t use very often, you might want to consider a deck extension. With an extended deck, you can make better use of the outdoor space so your family can truly love your backyard. Let’s talk about how to extend a deck and our best tips for making this new space flow with the rest of your home.
Why Build a Deck Extension?
Deck extensions are great for a few different reasons. Here are a few advantages to building a bigger deck:
- A bigger deck means you can have space to entertain. Decks are perfect for parties!
- With a deck extension, the space can be more useful. You can have different zones for outdoor dining, sitting around a fire pit, enjoying outdoor activities with the kids, playing with pets, and more.
- You can have multiple access points to your deck from your home. Many families love to have a door near their kitchen. However, you can also have access from other points in your home, such as off a bedroom.
- Extending a deck means you can have areas that are covered or enclosed, as well as areas that are open.
- With an extended deck, we can really make the design flow with your home. We can even include elements of backyard feng shui into the design to make the space feel balanced with your home.
Keep in mind, an outdoor living space of any size can also be financially beneficially. Decks are one of the best home improvement investments you can make for your home. If you are looking to sell your house in the future, a deck can help you get better offers. And if you’re not? A deck can increase your property value, which is valuable if you ever need to apply for a home equity loan or line of credit.
Our Best Tips for How to Extend a Deck
If you want your outdoor space to be both beautiful and functional, extending a deck isn’t as easy as just adding a few extra boards. Here at Structurally Speaking, we take a different approach to building a deck. When you work with our team, you get a completely custom deck. We’ll look at your existing deck, your home’s design, and your backyard to create a deck that feels like it was meant to be part of your house.
Additionally, we’ll talk to you about your family’s needs. How the deck will function is important! The most beautiful deck in the world doesn’t matter if you never feel comfortable using it. Here are a few tips we have for extending your deck:
- Keep in mind that decks need proper support. One of the biggest problems with DIY decks is that people do not build them properly. Our team has experience building high-quality decks that last for decades. Of course, we also follow all local building codes.
- When you extend your deck, keep your landscaping in mind. We’ll work with the trees, bushes, and other plants already on your property and make recommendations about how to best enhance the beauty of your backyard with your deck.
- We can include special features on your deck to make it more functional. This includes multiple levels, fire features, built-in benches, and planters, outdoor lighting, and much, much more! If you can dream it, we can design it.
In short, your deck extension should be a reflection of your family, not just a boring slab of wood in your backyard. With our help, you can build the custom deck of your dreams.
FAQs About Building a Deck Extension
The process of working with the Structurally Speaking team is straightforward. First, we meet with you to discuss your initial needs and see your outdoor space. Then, we design your new deck and present you with options. Only after you completely love the design do we start the final phase: construction. Through it all, we welcome your questions. You don’t have to worry about asking too many. We want you to feel completely comfortable with the deck we design and build for you.
Here are a few common questions we get about deck extensions to get you started:
Can I extend my current deck?
In some cases, yes. We can talk to you about how to extend a deck if you love your deck but just want it to be bigger. However, we need to examine your current deck to see if it is in good condition. Decks need support, with proper joist spacing depending on the material (usually between 12 and 16 inches), so we want to make sure your deck doesn’t have any construction issues. We’ll also make sure your deck doesn’t show signs of rot or decay.
Additionally, we’ll make sure your current deck can give you the look you actually want. In some cases, it might be a better choice to build a new custom deck from scratch.
How much will a deck extension cost?
We talk about pricing upfront when we design a new deck. The cost will depend on several factors, including your deck size, the features you choose, material and finishes, and more. We’ll always design a deck that fits into your budget, and you won’t get a surprise bill at the end.
What if I don’t have a big backyard?
Most backyards are big enough for decks. If you don’t want to give up more yard space for a bigger deck, we can talk to you about smaller deck options, as well as two-story decks. You don’t need a huge space to build the deck of your dreams. Click here to get started today with a free consultation.