Your Complete Guide to Adding a Screened In Porch to a Deck
Have you been thinking about adding a screened in porch to a deck? This is an awesome option for families, couples who love to entertain, and anyone who wants to add a relaxing indoor/outdoor combination space. Many homeowners avoid new construction projects because they’re worried it will be a headache. However, the Structurally Speaking team makes it easy. We’ll walk you through the entire process to design and build the new porch of your dreams.
Benefits to an Enclosed Outdoor Space
Not only is adding a screened in porch to a deck easy when you work with the right team, but it also makes your backyard more enjoyable. Here are some of our favorite benefits to an enclosed outdoor space such as a screened porch:
- You can use your outdoor living space more often, since you don’t have to worry about rain. As an added bonus, the screens and roof can also provide some protection from the sun during the hottest days of summer and from the wind during the fall and winter.
- The screens and door provide a safer space for children and pets to play. Many homeowners use their enclosed porch as a playroom.
- You’ll have protection from mosquitos and other bugs. You don’t have to worry about pests at your next barbecue, and you can enjoy sunsets without getting dozens of bug bites.
- Enclosed porches are faster and less expensive to build than sunrooms. Even if you don’t currently have a porch, building one from scratch typically takes less time than building a sunroom.
- Screened porches give you a fun sleeping option in the summer. We can build your porch to take advantage of the breezes.
- You have extra space for guests when you have any kind of party or get-together. People love having the option to be “outside” without being fully outside.
You can use your new porch for more than sleeping or parties, though. In addition to making a great play space, enclosed porches can also be an extension of your living room. You can add an outdoor fireplace, entertainment systems, and more.
Best Design Tips for Your New Screened Porch
If you know exactly what you want for your new porch, we can help turn your dreams into reality. However, if you’re not sure, don’t worry. Most of our clients know they want a screened-in porch, but they aren’t exactly sure what will work best for their needs.
Obviously, our best porch design tips will depend on your specific situation. However, here are a few things we have our clients think about as we are in the design stage of the project:
- What materials make the most sense for your porch? Like with decking, you have a variety of flooring choices for your new porch. While most homeowners want a wood porch, we can also explore other options for the flooring such as composite and tile.
- How big do you want your porch to be? Obviously, you still want space for your deck, and most people also want some yard or garden space. However, some people prioritize a bigger porch while others prioritize a bigger deck/yard. We can explore multi-level deck or porch options if you want more surface area without taking away from your yard.
- Do you have an existing deck we are enclosing or are we building from scratch? We can take on either type of project, but this will affect the overall design, timeline, and budget. Keep in mind that just because you have a porch currently doesn’t mean your only option is to simply enclose it. If you don’t like your current porch, we can demo it, expand it, etc. to create a finished porch you’ll love.
We don’t just build a handful of pre-designed cookie-cutter porches. Instead, we listen to your needs, look at the design of your home, and take your backyard’s features into consideration. Then, we design the perfect porch for you.
FAQs about Adding a Screened In Porch to a Deck
We’re happy to answer any questions you may have about building a screened-in porch. Here are the answers to a few frequently asked questions we get:
How long does it take to build a screened porch?
Adding a screened in porch to a deck typically doesn’t take as long as building a sunroom or a porch/deck from scratch. However, it depends on the specifics of your project and the time of year. During your free consultation, we’ll talk about the timeline for the type of porch you want.
Will an enclosed porch add value to my home?
Yes! Generally speaking, any kind of indoor/outdoor living space will add value to your home. If you are seeking to sell your home in the future, it can also help it sell faster, since many buyers are specifically looking for a deck, enclosed porch, or sunroom.
What is it like to work with Structurally Speaking?
We break down the process into three easy steps. First, we’ll come to your home for a free consultation. We look at your existing porch/deck and backyard and talk about what you want in a new enclosed porch. When you are ready to move forward, we’ll schedule a design presentation where we’ll show you options, including detailed drawings of your custom project. Once you are completely happy with the design, we start construction. We oversee the construction and have an in-house crew to do the work, rather than subcontracting the project.
Are you ready to get started? Contact us today to book your free consultation.